The Penske Racing cars of Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski failing pre-race inspection ahead of Saturday night's NRA 500 is just another example of NASCAR unfairly targeting the team, says the defending Sprint Cup champion.
Keselowski, who finished ninth after his team was forced to change the rear end housing on his No. 2 Miller Lite Ford, raged against "the absolute [expletive] that's been the last seven days in the garage area."
He continued, explaining that NASCAR was targeting his team and that the media had "no [expletive] idea what's going on" behind the scenes. Last year's series champion called NASCAR's actions "absolutely shameful."
"The things I've seen over the last seven days have me questioning everything I believe in, and I'm not happy about it," Keselowski said.
"We're not going to take it," he continued. "We're not going to be treated this way."
Keselowski, who said he could "make a list two pages long" of examples of NASCAR targeting his team, had inspection troubles last week in Martinsville ahead of qualifying.
Logano, who didn't make it to the starting grid until cars were rolling out to the track and thus started at the rear of the field, rebounded to finish fifth.
This isn't the first time this season that Keselowski has found himself in hot water with the sanctioning body.
Prior to the Daytona 500, Keselowski did an interview with the USA Today where he gave his opinion of everything from having Wi-Fi at tracks, to the Gen 6 car and several other topics. Keselowski would later meet with NASCAR Chairman Brian France to discuss his comments. (You can read more about that here.)
Penalties for the teams are expected this week, and could include suspensions, fines and driver and owner point deductions.
Thanks to NASCAR on FOX, NASCAR.com, Racing Reference, ESPN and the USA Today for the information, quotes and statistics used in this piece.